The Tasmanian Transport Association / TTA (“we” or “us”) is a not-for-profit Company that is, by nature, personal information-intensive. It relies on comprehensive and accurate personal information about members and other people with whom we deal. We have robust systems and procedures in place to protect your privacy whenever we collect, store, use or disclose your personal information. If you do not wish us to disclose information about you to third parties, you must inform us and we will take immediate steps to implement your request.
The Australian Privacy Principles (AAPs) establish requirements for the way entities collect, store and use an individual’s personal information. Our aim is to provide an environment which will ensure the information you provide to us is handled in a secure, efficient and confidential manner. Details of what we collect and how it is used are contained in this policy.
By becoming a member of the TTA, visiting the TTA website (or any sub-domain of those websites) or giving us your personal information, you agree to your information being collected, stored, used and disclosed on the terms set out in this Policy.
Tasmanian Transport Association
PO Box 2069, SPREYTON TASMANIA 7310
T: 0427 366 742
What kind of personal information does the TTA collect?
We generally collect your personal information directly from you. For example, we may collect personal information about you when you deal with us over this website, or the telephone or when you send us correspondence (whether by letter, fax or email), subscribe electronically to our publications or when you have contact with us in person. Information is also collected from you when you participate in a survey.
The types of personal information that we collect include:
- your name, date of birth and other personal information such as your gender;
- your contact information, such as email addresses, contact and delivery addresses and phone numbers;
- your credit card and bank account details;
- information that you provide for the purpose of registering with our websites and the transactions carried out over our websites by you;
- your preferences and feedback for the purpose of subscribing to website services and marketing material;
- information about your use of our websites;
- records and content of any communications between us and you;
- your financial status of membership; and
- any other personal information provided to us in the course of using our websites or where we provide any goods or services to you.
We may collect personal information from a third party where it is unreasonable or impractical to collect the information directly from you. These third parties may include an organisation with whom you have dealt, such as any of our Sponsorship Agencies or an entity which maintains a public record, or a credit reporting agency.
There may be occasions when a third party provides information about you, such as when you are nominated for an honour or award.
How we use your personal information
The TTA will use personal information they collect for the primary purpose for which it is collected and for such other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose and are reasonably expected, or for which consent has been given. The TTA will use your personal information to provide you with a particular product or service and to contact you about matters pertaining to membership of the TTA.
Other primary purposes for which we collect and use personal information includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- Assessing membership applications.
- Processing payments of applications.
- Conducting and improving our businesses and to improve the customer experience.
- Using the personal information (in a de-identified form) for the purpose of research, policy development or the compilation of statistics, relevant to livestock and transport.
- Providing your personal information to our Sponsorship Agencies in order to provide you with member-related benefits.
- Making decisions relating to nomination or election to a position on the Board and/or Committees.
- Providing membership services such as publications, newsletters (by fax or email) and other member benefits.
- Inviting you to partake in conferences, seminars, workshops and other events.
- Contacting Board and Committee members to distribute agendas and minutes.
- Providing contact details to the associations’ National or State Sponsors, to audit and evaluate members’ use of sponsor products and services and validate commission payments and entitlements of the TTA.
- Developing statistical information to represent or lobby on behalf of members.
- Supporting specific initiatives of the TTA including resource sharing and industry assistance initiatives.
We may use your personal information for purposes related or ancillary to the main reason we collect it, such as:
- Internal accounting and administration.
- Regulatory reporting and sponsorship compliance.
Disclosure of your personal information
The TTA may disclose personal information, including sensitive information, held about an individual to:
- A membership committee or panel to assess applications.
- Members authorised to vote on candidates elected to office bearing positions.
- Members on the same Board / Committee or group.
- Sponsorship Agencies.
- Support with resource sharing / labour hire / sub-contracting arrangements where parties have agreed to this information being disclosed.
We may contract out some of our functions and activities. For example, we may disclose information to allow printing of membership cards. We may also provide names and fax numbers to a mailing house for distribution of our materials to you. In these situations, we prohibit those third parties from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
In our dealings with sponsors and Sponsorship Agencies, the TTA prohibit any third party from using information supplied to you in any direct marketing activities.
The TTA make certain corporate registers and lists publicly available. For instance, if you are recorded on a register or other listing, or if you are an office bearer on the Board or Committee, we disclose personal information such as name and contact details through various means, either through publications, websites or verbally to members of the public.
The TTA may disclose to the public or other parties that you are a member of the TTA, unless you have advised us that you do not want this information released.
The TTA otherwise treat all personal information held about you as confidential. This applies except where disclosure of your personal information is compelled by law, in the public interest, or with your consent.
You may decide not to provide your personal information. If you decide not to do this, then we may not be able to provide you with goods and services.
Accuracy of your personal information
If we have accurate personal information about you, it enables us to provide you with the best possible service. We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date whenever we collect or use it.
If you find that current personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date please contact us immediately.
Access to your personal information
On request, we provide you with information about you which is readily accessible and which may lawfully be provided.
Security of your personal information
The TTA protect any personal information that we hold about you to prevent misuse and loss. We protect your privacy by restricting access to your personal information to those staff or authorised office bearers who need it, either to process information or to provide you with the goods or services you have asked for.
Our staff are responsible for handling personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act. Your personal information may be stored in hardcopy documents or as electronic data.
We maintain physical security over our paper and electronic data stores and premises. We also maintain computer and network security. For example, we use firewalls (security measures for the Internet) and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems.
The TTA will keep your information for as long as it is needed to provide you with the products, services and benefits you have requested from us. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it.
Direct marketing occurs where entities use the personal information they collect to market related or other goods and services to the individual who provided the information. A common example is where an organisation emails individuals a membership newsletter.
We may use or disclose personal information for the purpose of direct marketing. We will only use or disclose sensitive information for the purpose of direct marketing if you have consented.
You are entitled to request not to receive direct marketing communications from us by contacting us on the details listed at the end of this Policy. We will give effect to any such request.
Resolving your concerns
If you believe that the privacy of your personal information has been compromised, you are entitled to complain.
If you have a complaint, please contact the TTA Secretariat.
Tasmanian Transport Association
PO Box 2069, SPREYTON TASMANIA 7310
T: 0427 366 742
If you have not already done so, please tell us if you DO NOT wish the TTA to disclose:
- That you are a member of the TTA;
- Other details you specify.